Sunday, January 15, 2012

ALL I HAVE TO DO IS SCREAM













I sometimes wonder how Edvard Munch would have felt if he knew that his most celebrated painting was reproduced on t-shirts, fridge magnets, and in inflatable plastic. These are his words on the inspiration behind epic painting. I’d never read them before and thus I pass them on…

“I was walking along a path with two friends – the sun was setting – suddenly the sky turned blood red – I paused, feeling exhausted, and leaned on the fence – there was blood and tongues of fire above the blue-black fjord and the city – my friends walked on, and I stood there trembling with anxiety – and I sensed an infinite scream passing through nature.”

Click here for the animated version.

3 comments:

Fred said...

There's a word that fits, if I can just remember it.

ah!

trivialization?

Bets said...

He'd probably be well pleased if he had the licensing.

seeformiles said...

There have been several similar skies at sunset round my way recently that have brought this image to mind - beauty in the middle of a bout of "Januaryitis"!