Wednesday, January 09, 2008

THOUGHTS ON RELIGION BY THINKERS



Since today is an overloaded day weighed down with work, I thought I’d pass along these quotes sent as a New Year greeting by a dear friend, either for your amusement or to provoke fury.

"The Bible is not my book nor Christianity my profession. I could never give assent to the long, complicated statements of Christian dogma." [Abraham Lincoln]

"Religion is a byproduct of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity?" [Arthur C. Clarke]

"Religions are all alike - founded upon fables and mythologies." [Thomas Jefferson]

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying and absolutely vile." [Kurt Vonnegut]

"Religion is based . . . mainly on fear . . .fear of the mysterious, fear of defeat, fear of death. Fear is the parent of cruelty, and therefore it is no wonder if cruelty and religion have gone hand in hand. . . . My own view on religion is that of Lucretius. I regard it as a disease born of fear and as a source of untold misery to the human race." [Bertrand Russell

The secret word is Kneel

6 comments:

Your driver said...

William Blake?

Mick said...

Nobody sent me any William Blake, but it's never too late.

Anonymous said...

Do I need to point out you will burn in Hell!

Your driver said...

I'm quoting from memory, so I'm sure the line breaks are wrong: "The atoms of Democritus/ And Newton's particles of light/ Are grains of sand on Red Sea's shore/ Where Israel's tents do shine so bright."

Anonymous said...

Blake, you want Blake? How about "the path of excess leads to the palace of wisdom"?

Anonymous said...

How do you like them apples, anonymous?