Sunday, May 15, 2011

SUNDAY BREAKFAST















Around the time of the LA riots, I wrote the line “is it a new day dawning or just another city on fire?” For once I feel it may be a new day dawning. It might just be a result of having finally had a really good night’s (and half a day’s) sleep but I am filled with a quite unusual sense of optimism. Just because the known-world seems to be in windmill panic and teetering on lips of the abyss doesn’t mean that we have necessarily to fall into it. And even if we do, it doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy the plunge like one of those extreme theme-park rides that seek to thrill us by means of a fear/adrenaline/gravity rush. Or maybe this is all a result of a kind of geezer recklessness because – at my age and in my condition – there really isn’t that much to lose (as long as someone cares for Finn should I miscalculate) and that, as the peach-drunk Pearl long ago informed us, is a definition of freedom.

Click here for Pearl

The secret word is Next

3 comments:

Aleleeinn said...

Love the sunrise picture Mick. I hope without any good reason for the new day; Simply because anything less makes me part of the problem.
The abyss has been staring back at me for as long as I can remember. And I still love the roller coaster. And if my friend gets his shit together I'll try skydiving. And hell Mick, I'm almost as old as you.
Great to have you back--hope you enjoyed the brea.

Bernard said...

Like the last sentence replace Finn in my case with Bute, German Shepherd

Mr. Beer N. Hockey said...

I like the way I can hear Janis singing Kris' song just at the mention of it.