Tuesday, November 03, 2009

TRIPPING WAS GOOD FOR US?


Seems to be a day for the psychedelic. Our goodbuddy Arsydd sent us this story how all this acid we used to take might actually have been good for our mental and physical health, although maybe it’s illegality and general lack of overall quality control may have somewhat negated the benefits.

“A growing number of people are taking LSD and other psychedelic drugs such as cannabis and ecstasy to help them cope with a variety of conditions including anorexia nervosa, cluster headaches and chronic anxiety attacks. The emergence of a community that passes the drugs between users on the basis of friendship, support and need – with money rarely involved – comes amid a resurgence of research into the possible therapeutic benefits of psychedelics. This is leading to a growing optimism among those using the drugs that soon they may be able to obtain medicines based on psychedelics from their doctor, rather than risk jail for taking illicit drugs." (Click here for more.)

And while on the subject of acid, I have to register how it pisses me off that The Beatles 1967 anthem "All You Need Is Love" is now being used in a Blackberry commercial. Is this the work of Fab McCartney or the Michael Jackson estate? I was never a huge fan of the tune, but WTF?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I used to preach acid in high school. I was good at it, too. Then I realized that I had expected too much from a mere drug, as most of the guys who had tripped were just as backward/Republican as if they hadn't . . . .

I HATE hearing great revolutionary songs in commercials. "All You Need is Love" is one of my religious rituals.

Your driver said...

Acid is the only drug I have mixed feelings about. The rest of them, in the end, sucked. Acid was at least tricksie and gave me something to think about for a decade or three.

I heard the buzzcocks in a commercial encouraging me to be cool and join the AARP. Then I heard the X Ray Spex as background music on NPR's Marketplace.

If the Holy Modal Rounders or The Fugs turn up on a commercial I will wonder about the value of living.

What was that fist fucking anthem? "Let's Fist Again" (LIke we did last summer) It was by some punk band. If I hear the words "Shit on my knuckles/ Pain in your ass" being used to promote product I might buy what they're selling just because. Some songs deserve to be exploited. They need to be exploited.

Anonymous said...

Well, psychedelics have always been good to me. Acid can be a bit too intense though. Psilocybe Mushrooms on the other hand are pure bliss and I am very angry at the lack of research to asses their effect on the nervous system.

I hope the current row over drugs classification in the UK, is indicative of a change of mentality on the subject. When it comes to mind- altering substances, it's time for Governments to start listening to the experts and not the tabloids.

(-Dimitris-)

Benjamin Owens said...

Oi... cannabis a psychedelic? That shit has to be a fucking joke, right?

I have never smoked the sweet leaf and ended up viewing anything out of line with the vista of reality.

I dropped acid and ate mushrooms and tripped the fuck out many times, but I've never hallucinated while burning herb. I mean, maybe if your ganja is laced with pcp or somebody sprinkled mescaline into the bag or sold you sherm, but, unless you'e having a flashback, I don't see this going down otherwise... Never have patterns emerged on the table top and crawled along the edges of my peripheral vision when I was only smoking jazz cigarettes.

That shit isn't like that, it isn't a hard drug... I've never been stoned and contemplating if I was insane or everyone around me was... I'm just like... you drop a dose, you smoke dope to come down, so what the fuck is cannabis doing classified with what it helps you mellow from? Doesn't make any sense to me.