Thursday, September 17, 2009

EVERY DAY CAN'T BE WONDERFUL



I'm right now sitting here unable to write or access files after a goddamn MSN update crippled my Word programme. I await bloody Microsoft and hope tomorrow will be a better day. In the meantime here's a note on 13th century healthcare. Seemingly little changes.
"Then along comes the Black Death, mowing down the sinful and the sinless indiscriminately. ... You can be healthy on Monday, infected on Tuesday, and a corpse on Saturday, leaving precious little time to wipe the sin slate clean by confessing and repenting in preparation for your personal judgement day. The biggest hurdle of all might have been luring the priest, any priest, to one's deathbed of contagion in order to perform last rites, the final cleansing. If a cleric does show up, he might charge an outrageous price for mumbling a few prayers. Stories of deathbed fee-gougers also abound, adding to the popular perception that extravagance and greed motivate more often than not." -- Susan Squire, I Don't

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.openoffice.org/

Fuck microsoft.

Valerie said...

Mr Farren,
I would deem wonderful most days in spite those technical glitches if, besides writing books, I also inspired them.

Penny-Ante (on Wadda Ya Know We Gotta Show posted Sept.13) was such a strange name... a Google search came up with the answer but also a Jon Lorenz interview with the lovely lady, Rebekah Weikel, behind the publications.

J.L: "I heard that meeting Mick Farren of the Deviants was the inspiration to do a third volume of Penny-Ante. What was that like?"

R.W: "Yeah… We weren’t really planning on doing another, but Mick Farren happened to walk into the back of this bar I was hanging out at, and Joe McGraw (the bar owner at the time) introduced us, and by chance Joe had a copy of the first Penny-Ante in the office. He gave it to Mick to flip through and [Mick] didn’t say much. Time passed, it took me a couple months, but I wrote him and when [Mick] said yes, it was sort of this attitude of, “Okay, now I want to do this again.”

Keep treading on the butterflies.

Pepsi said...

Far be it for me tp pick nits but the Black Death peaked around 1350, so wouldn't that make it 14th century?

Mick said...

You're right. My error.