Friday, September 25, 2009

AUSTRALIAN GRAPES OF WRATH


As I sit here in this weeks unnatural heat in bloody Los Angeles, this news flash from down under makes for uncomfortable logic. Climate change isn’t going to be some gradual, uniform process across the globe. It’s going to be incidences of localized weirdness becoming more and more frequent as time passes, and heaven help Europe if the Greenland Pump goes out.

“A dust storm blankets Sydney's iconic Opera House at sunrise September 23, 2009. A huge outback dust storm swept eastern Australia and blanketed Sydney on Wednesday, disrupting transport, forcing people indoors and stripping thousands of tonnes of valuable farmland topsoil.”

The secret word is Bad

4 comments:

Benjamin Owens said...

I swear... I'm going to be pissed if the world really ends.. after I just put $300 up on 2 books I'll use for the next 10 weeks then never again, instead of things I really wanted.

If I just wasted the better part of my youth going to college... for nothing... I could have been spinning records & crashing at jam-band pads & actually enjoying myself for the last so many years... but no, I went to college & got my shit together & did what my parents wanted.

If the world ends, Mick, buy me a fucking drink.

Gerin said...

sister in sydney told me that it was as in the movie 'Mummy', same sorte as a saharian sammum. all of your orifices are full in a second if you are exposed to it.
crazy wind.

wv - prashe ('dusting' in croatian)

Tuonela said...

We had a smaller, yellower version again this morning.

It may grimly amuse you to know that several scientists are publicly wondering how much of the dust is radioactive, courtesy of the UK nuclear tests in the desert in the 50s.

The death of a thousand sneezes…

Nick said...

The death of a thousand sneezes. Why do I have the feeling that's going to be this century's epitaph?

At least we know how Mars to be the way it is now.