Sunday, June 21, 2009

THE UNDERGROUND PRESS REFUSES TO DIE


Without risking a total lapse of modesty, I think I can justly claim I lent a willing hand in the founding of the international weekly tabloid press. In the beginning, it was known as the “underground press” but later – after it kissed the ass of the advertisers one time too many – it changed its hooker name to “alternative.” Alas it is now all but gone -- destroyed in no small part by its own management attempts trying to ape the corporate, and the way in which these efforts culminated in the long-term agenda of the porcine Michael Lacey of Village Voice Media to sell what was left of the once u/g press to Goldman Sachs.
For the first time since 1970, I find myself with a bee in my bonnet – in this case that we may be buying too totally into “Barack Knows Best” – and nowhere to exercise it as a cover story on cheap newsprint. And this is really a loss to the world and blow to my ego. On the other hand, our pal DH has just clued us in on the IT Database. IT (originally called International Times until there was a lawsuit) was maybe the fifth or sixth 1960s-style u/g tabloid on the planet, and this data base – coordinated by the tireless Mike Lesser, and abetted by Miles, Hoppy, others – is truly amazing offering facsimiles of every page of every issue, at a time when a complete set of the real thing sells for $3000-$5000. (Click here for the full wonder.)

The secret word is Letraset

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

How come the IT database won't open?

Mick said...

Beats me. The URL was working fine when I posted it but now it's on the fritz. Maybe someone's messing with it. I'm inclined to wait a few hours and see what happens.

Löst Jimmy said...

Working fine now, a big BIG thanks to you Mick upon alerting my dulled senses to this excellent database...Wunderbar!

Mark Haspam said...

It's there alright. Working fine now, at least on this end of the globe.

Thanks much for the link, Mick. One of the only things closer to the caustic humor and creativity of the 60s underground press is this here blog - which is the only one that I visit regularly.


And I'm also "glad" that the dust is beginning to settle on the Obama issue. Don't feel bad about it - we're dealing with marketing people here - they know exactly which button to push and at what time.

CHANGE™

Mr O. is definitely a sign of our times.

Lyle Hopwood said...

I'm glad you can see through the "Barack is our saviour" mindset. For me, during the election, it was like being in the world of John Carpenter's They Live. Everybody bought into the illusion. Don't get me wrong, he's way better than the other guy - but it's quantitative, not qualitative. Here's hoping you find your new media to express yourself, Mick.

Mick said...

My instict is that medium is right here, and, ultimately, my love of print will be nothing more than nostalgia. We have the multi-media playground we always desired. The only drawback is that, combined as it currently is with mindless capitalism, survival is a constant and perplexing puzzle.

roldo said...

I never could see myself or my work as "alternative". When the Underground surfaced, I Dropped Out more. There does seem to be potential here in Cyberia, tho'...hey - I have occassional moments of optimism!