Sunday, December 09, 2007

TAKING YOUR LAPTOP ON THE PLANE CIRCA 1956



As I sit endlessly at this computer I forget just how much I take it for granted. The picture to the left is of the hard drive memory unit from a 1956 computer in transit. Clearly we have come a long way from there. The memory that took us to the moon now hangs on a key ring with plenty more. We have also totally deviated from this 1965 video clip of how computers would be organizing our lives by 1999. (I like those multiple screens, but other wise…well…I think the coming application of LSD was a very good idea.)

3 comments:

Lyle Hopwood said...

I was surprised at how accurate it was. Apart from the use of a stylus to write email, it's quite prescient. (You can't tell from the way it's presented that the web was actually postulated after this time - it *looks* as though they're using an internet.)

I guess it's not the computer's fault that gender roles have not only not progressed too far away from this but are in some senses regressing back towards this.

Mind if I mention this on my own blog? (It might be a couple of days - I have some online shopping for pink clothes to do first.)

Anonymous said...

I recall a Sunday early evening series about the future that ran on CBS in the mid-'60s. Cronkite was moderator. One episode was about personal computers, how we'd be doing banking at home, etc. Anybody remember the show?

Mick said...

Please Peromyscus, mention, quote or otherwise make use of any part of it. No need to ask. That's why we're here.