Tuesday, November 13, 2007

THE INVASION OF THE RHIZOMORPHS



Today, I took Veterans Day off (see Sunday 11/4) and spent it in bed. Even now I’ve risen I find myself falling asleep in front of a TV that is showing nothing of any substance except reruns of The X-Files. I believe this is one of those days when I have to admit I have been doing far too much and no longer have the stamina of Capt Marvel Jr. (or have forgotten the magic word.) Thus, feeling a lot like a lethargically insane fungus, I happened by synchronicity (thank you Dr. Jung) to come across another account of this famous entity and the invasion beneath our feet.

“The underground fungus [is] estimated to be between 2000 and 8500 years old . . . . [It] spreads mainly along tree roots, but also through the soil using shoestring-like structures called rhizomorphs . . . . Researchers thought that individual fungus organisms grew in distinct clusters in the forest, marked by the ring-shaped patches of dead trees that they spotted during overhead flights. No one expected to find that the well-separated clusters represented one contiguous organism." (For more)

And this is Captain Beefheart playing Big Eyed Beans From Venus

The secret word is Room

And I also forgot to post links to two pieces in last Thursdays LA CityBeat. One short take on the WGA strike, and another a rare (for me) piece of rock crit.

No comments: