Monday, October 08, 2007

DOC'S PAPERBACK CLASSIC'S # 29



This is the most hideous cover ever inflicted on one of my novels.

But who says I’m not a fucking icon? In yesterday’s London Sunday Times, Mick Jones and Tony James talked about the formation of their new band Carbon/Silicon.
“We met when Mick was being thrown out of another band,” James says. “They aid to him, ‘We’re chucking you out, but here’s this other bloke.’ We got talking on the Northern Line on the way back to Mick’s gran’s.”
“You had a silk bomber jacket and loons,” suggests Jones. “I never had a silk bomber jacket,” counters James, apparently accepting the loon-pants allegation, “but he had girls’ shoes on.” Such was the confused state of fashion between glam and punk, and in a dull and dispiriting time, Jones and James realised that they were kindred spirits. “We were into the same bands, we both read Creem [a US rock magazine] and we were both reading Mick Farren’s The Tale of Willy’s Rats – and I’ve never met anyone else who’s even heard of that book, let alone read it,” says James. “So here we are, 32 years later. Who else can you trust but your best friend?”
(For more)

But, if you’re one of those people who’ve never heard of The Tale of Willy’s Rats, you can download it for free from Funtopia.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're not a fucking icon.

Anonymous said...

Yes he bloody is.

Anonymous said...

i've read it. it's great.

Lyle Hopwood said...

I've read it. I loved it!

Mick said...

See, anon, I am an icon.

Maggie M'Gill said...

My fellow hoodlum Mike and myself became friends after finding out we were the only two people in this quadrant of the galaxy who'd read 'Texts of Festival' - a fine read. In passing, today (Tuesday) is Aimee Semple Macpherson's birthday.