Thursday, August 16, 2007

ELVIS IS A LONG TIME GONE FROM THE BUILDING



Elvis with Little Junior Parker and Bobby Bland

Elvis Presley died thirty years ago today. I think we can all accept by now that he’s not hiding out in Hawaii under the name John Burroughs. I have written so much about Elvis down the years I have little left to say. Why don’t we just let the performances be the tribute? Here are three tunes from three essential peaks in the man’s career – “Heartbreak Hotel”, “Jailhouse Rock”, and “In The Ghetto.”

We can, however, mark the occasion by laying to rest an unpleasant rumor that been circulating for a half century that claims Elvis once remarked “The only thing Negroes can do for me is buy my records and shine my shoes.” The evidence seems to have finally been amassed that this was an early piece of anti-Presley, anti-rock disinformation.

The secret word is Left

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Elvis dead and gone
Left me here to sing his song

Anonymous said...

Man, check the threads on those hepcats. Gotta be Lansky's finest.

Anonymous said...

Hail to the King, Baby!