Wednesday, May 24, 2006



WHEN THEY COME FOR YOU...
(Just to set the record straight)
Yesterday, some talking head – with reference to the Attorney General’s hardly veiled threats against the media (see previous post) – misquoted the Nazi-era words of Pastor Martin Niemöller. Just to set the record straight, here’s generally accepted version...

"First they came for the Communists, and I didn’t speak up, because I wasn’t a Communist.
Then they came for the Jews, and I didn’t speak up, because I wasn’t a Jew.
Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn’t speak up, because I was a Protestant.
Then they came for me, and by that time there was no one left to speak up for me. "

Not that I believe they are about to come for us, but I do think there are some out there who are are contemplating how to knot the noose.

No comments: