Wednesday, February 03, 2010

LULLABY OF BROADWAY


And while I was looking at the anarcho-syndicalism in the 1930s another piece of synchronicity came into play as I happened across a clip of the extended Busby Berkeley production number “Lullaby of Broadway” from the movie Gold Diggers of 1935. I have always marveled at this amazing piece of cinema. It seems so much more than just a dance segment in a Hollywood musical. For a start, the principal character falls to her death at the end, and on an inspired day, I am able to see it as a metaphor for the rise of fascism. If you think I’m crazy, click here and check it out.

1 comment:

Timmy said...

The lyrics to this song: "Lullaby Of Broadway" are strangley haunting & somewhat chilling. I bow to your utilization of the theme to prject your Communal preachings...