Thursday, October 22, 2009

GRATUITOUS GENTRY (or is this just too retro-weird?)


I have always had this strange attraction to Bobbie Gentry’s “Ode To Billie Joe”. If memory serves, I think I once suggested to the rest of The Deviants that we should perform it in a manner that was part Dylan’s “Ballad Of Hollis Brown” and part The Stooges “We Will Fall.” They looked at me as though I was wholly and barking crazy and the idea was never mentioned again, but I continue to this day to find the song hauntingly eerie, slightly creepy and an example of genuine country gothic of a kind that Nick Cave could only seek to emulate. Click here for the clip I found.

The secret word is Tallahatchie

6 comments:

Mark Haspam said...

I was going to write a comment until I saw the Word Verification.

It reads WOODIEST. I kid you not.

Billy Bob Bob Bob said...

every time ah hear that song my gums bleed.

Timmy said...

Bobbie should go down in history as one of the rarest & chilling singers of the darker side of human experience. She was truely a great singer. And, a stone fox!

-pk said...

I never heard her (or of her) before. I listened to that and immediately went to $INTERNET_BASED_BOOKSTORE and bought a greatest hits album. Looking forward to hearing more. Thanks...

Diamond Jim said...

That may have been a bit of a rash move. Ode was a great fucking record but Gentry was a bit of a one hit wonder.

roldo said...

Yeah, that song got to me too - spent hours wondering what it was she threw from the bridge. The simple folky arrangement with the sparse, eerie, low strings worked perfectly.
the wv is taking a turn to the odd - I got "ingratea"