Sunday, March 22, 2009

MY NAME IS JERRY LEE LEWIS FROM LOUISIANA/GONNA PLAY A LITTLE BOOGIE ON THIS HERE PIANO...



I’m a bit late in getting to it but our pal Jon wrote a killer bit on seeing Jerry Lee in Nashville.

“It was immediately apparent that Jerry Lee was completely out of his mind. A bunch of indignant looking family men with dependents in tow walked out when The Killer started raving about the size of Muddy Water's dick. I think the rest of us were slack jawed with astonishment at the depraved spectacle as it unfolded. The bass player was so drunk that he kept falling flat on his face with accompanying noises when his bass hit the floor. The "band" would then stop playing to rush over and prop him up. Finally they raised the curtain behind the stage so he could lean on the cinder block wall. Classy. Once he managed to stay upright it became apparent that he was not paying attention to anything that Jerry Lee was doing.” (Click here for the full wonder.)

I’d like to think the picture (lifted from Siblingshot) is the mugshot taken after Jerry Lee rammed the gates of Graceland with his car, blind drunk and screaming that Elvis should come out and face him, but maybe he was arrested in Memphis more than just that one time.

5 comments:

Your driver said...

Holy shit Mick! I'm sincerely honored. My pal Ib Slingshot is another great blogger. Just when I was wondering if it was worth my while to type my grammatically incoherent and nightmarishly punctuated stories.

Your driver said...

PS, RJ Eskow, who writes for Huffington Post, has written a great story about a Jerry Lee show in London.

http://nightlight.typepad.com/nightlight/2009/03/best-concert-ever.html

I'd love to read a collection of stories about Jerry Lee shows. For many years there have been stories circulating about a Jerry Lee show in Indiana. The performance was at a frat party at Indiana University. It supposedly touched off a night long riot. This was supposed to have taken place in 1966.

I've heard the story repeated many times, but I've never met anyone who claimed to have been there.

hcb said...

Hey Mick
I sent jon a message on his blog:

When I was going to school in Bloomington, in the mid-70's--I went down to Little Nashville several times to see Jerry Lee--how could you not?--but I recall one show--and I may be projecting backwards--but I seem to remember Jimmy Swaggart coming out on stage and leading Jerry Lee away in mid rant.
I wish I could say that I remember the show you're referring to, but I believe that the Jerry Lee shows I went to happened before he went into the hospital

Anonymous said...

I saw him in Koh Samui 3 years ago, (I would post a pic but i dont know how)I met him later with Ike Turner, two of the most most evil rockers ever. It wasn't a crazy gig though, shame, but he still rocked. Ike played later in a local bar and that was in my top 5 gigs ever. Ike ended up showing the crowd his man boobs while his singer Audrey screamed he "cant get that bitch of his mind."

Anonymous said...

sorry that was Ike with the man boobs not Jerry unfortunatly.