Thursday, December 11, 2008

LIZ ON THURSDAY



And it’s Liz posing unhappily on the beach in Tennessee Williams’ Suddenly Last Summer. I’d like to pretend I was so school-boy, hip-literate that I came to the work of Tennessee on it’s own merit, but the truth is that I went to see the movie because my dirty minded little homies told me Liz’s white, one-piece swimsuit became transparent when wet. When I actually shuffled into the cheap seats of the local cinema, I discovered that Suddenly Last Summer was a twisted epic in which Liz on the beach is attracting young boys for her husband Sebastian, and is later threatened with a lobotomy by Sebastian’s mom, played by Katherine Hepburn, who brings in Montgomery Clift (baby) to declare Liz insane when she threatens to blow the whistle on Sebastian’s predatory gaiety. And, after the whole story ended in cannibalism, there was no stopping me. I promptly boarded the streetcar to the glass menagerie. (And, around the same time, I also discovered the work of Hank – the other of the Williams boys.)

4 comments:

Your driver said...

Yes, yes, but did the bathing suit become transparent?

Mick said...

Supposedly, but not on camera. It was 1959 after all.

Anonymous said...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BARBARA'S BLAST THROUGH TO PASSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SET UP DONATION BASED COMMUNITY NETWORK TO HELP MY MOM AND PATIENTS LIKE HER !

A
round robin

effort of food/item/time donations,

fundraising efforts (car washes,

collection cans, gift card sales

modeled after ones laguna hills hs card

lisa has) funds used to sponsor WISH-

LIST outings like:

MOVIE TRIPS, DINNERS, GO TO THE BEACH, COUPONS TO PATIENT WHERE THEY CAN SELECT A FAMILY OR COMMUNITY MEMBER FOR NEEDED TASKS LIKE HOUSE CLEANING, GROCERY STORE RUNS, ETC.


I LOST MY CELL PHONE, AND ALL OF YOUR NUMBERS TO BOOT! CALL ME AT 949-305-3765! ASAP!!! LISA & I HAVE BEEN THINKING ABOUT THIS FOR AWHILE!

HELP ME DO THIS, GUYS!!! IM GOING TO GET A NON PROFIT BUSINESS LICENSE!!! I NEED HELP BECAUSE I HAVE SO MANY IDEAS, AND MOM DOESNT HAVE MUCH TIME!!!

LET'S BE MOM'S SANTA!! LET'S DO IT FOR OTHERS LIKE HER LATER AND CHANGE THE WORLD!!!!

WE NEED TO FIND HOMES FOR MOMS CATS-13 IN ALL

CALL YOUR LOCAL RADIO STATIONS!

WE HAVE CAR WASHES TO HOLD
BAKE SALES TO ORGANIZE
CANS TO PUT IN STORES TO REACH OUT FOR HELP
PASTORS TO TALK TO!!!
INTERNET RADIO SHOWS TO BROADCAST

A CELEBRITY STUDDED BENEFIT CONCERT WHERE WE CAN ALL PARTY WITH BARBARA!!!

CALL LISA AND I ASAP WITH YOUR AVAILABILITY & INPUT

Maggie M'Gill said...

Isabella, I'm sure you're lovely, but your persistent use of capitals and exclamation marks does prove a trifle wearing after a while.

Mick, (or frankly anyone, really), could you help meet Iz's demands by organising a bake sale or finding a pastor to talk to? Hopefully then she'll then be put out of her misery, and we can resume talking about Mrs Taylor and her bathing suit. And yes, I do appreciate that a home still has to be found for the 13 cats.