Saturday, December 20, 2008

CRAZY ABOUT MAD






















When Mark Haspan recently posted a comment noting an definite undertow of Mad magazine in the works of Doc40, I responded with a smile that Mad had been a seminal influence on everything I would subsequently do. Mad clued in a pre-teen English wannabe-hipster to a great deal that he knew he needed to know, from Jack Kerouac, to the above Marlon Brando, to making Edgar Allen Poe enjoyable. Last year I wrote more about Mad in LA CityBeat celebrating how they had gone after Bush from the get go. Click here to read.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

haspaM, sir.
you cannot Mark something Has Pan..
maybe you can
but that's just not my bag baby.

Reading your blog keeps me in touch with vital but sadly fading aesthetics such as the ones in Mad magazine, the underground press (in the choice of pics and subjects) and sci-fi crazyness.

"the only way out is UP"

wv: KNESSES