Saturday, August 02, 2008

THIS IS PETER WYNGARDE



(This true confession is triggered by comments on yesterday’s post Amazing Ego)

Back in 1969/70 after I had split from the original Deviants and they were rapidly becoming The Pink Fairies, I grew a full beard in what, I figure, must have been some kind of subconscious, Al Gore penance. The beard made me look like Phineas Freak so I shaved it off, leaving a handsome Zapata mustache of the kind that were currently all the rage. Unfortunately, it caused me to bear a unfortunate resemblance -- with or without a purple shirt -- to a fictional character called Jason King, the somewhat effete hero of the then popular, mod-a-go-go TV series Department S. This was less than enjoyable. Small children would shout at me in the street and I would have to threaten to murder them and stuff them in a drain to make them desist. Then uncomfortable turned to downright dangerous when actor Peter Wyngarde, who played Jason King, was busted for "gross indecency" with a truck driver in the toilet of Gloucester bus station, and drunken swaddies, thinking I was Wyngarde, (or close enough for rock & roll) would howl after me in the street and want to play “brutalize the homo.” Thus the mustache was also put to the razor, and I have been, give or take some spaghetti-western stubble, clean shaven ever since. The whole experiment with facial hair only lasted a matter of months but it comes back to haunt me because it occurred at the time Mona – The Carnivorous Circus was being released and is preserved in the publicity and cover photos.

Peter Wyngarde was actually quite an interesting cat, grew up in a Japanese POW camp, and released a strange and cult-sensitive solo album (which I would like to hear.) Click to learn more.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Farren, no matter how others may flatter you, you really are totally shameless

kass said...

That's how we like him.

Anonymous said...

But he thinks even his facial hair is amazingly interesting.

ib said...

Great stuff. And to think I was mildly concerned the Jason King comparison might offend you! More memoiresque ramblings from those Grove days, please.

I'm off to jump down the virtual rabbit hole to secure an appointment with King Wyngarde...

Löst Jimmy said...

Superb post indeed Doc40, I was mildly amused (although not sadistically you must appreciate) at the scene of you howling down the street at the prospect (albeit of mistaken identity) of a beasting at the hands of a braying mob.

Department S had a fantastic theme tune, rivals the Persuaders for sheer rousing expectation. I recall that Mr Wyngarde played the role of the dubiously named General Klytus in the 1980 cult insanity movie Flash Gordon. And I remember watching with affection his role as the cad leader of the Hellfire Club in that infamous Avengers episode - Mrs Peel, I definitely need you (my words not his).

As for the LP and its cult status, I note that selections are played on the wait for it... 'retro-lounge' channel 79 - what a cool name for a radio channel. Outstanding.

ib said...

Ah, the Persuaders! A theme to lovingly contrast against that of the original "Randall & Hopkirk: Deceased".

I am experiencing mildly troubling visions of Emma Peel with her knickers in a fine twist as the result of this comment.

Lyle Hopwood said...

Mick, you need to use addict-o-matic as your search engine. Just type in your search terms.

http://addictomatic.com/topic/wyngarde+amour

The results include an MP3 blog called A Dashing Blade

http://adashingblade.blogspot.com/2008/03/peter-wyngard-when-sex-leers.html

And from there you can download the album from Rapidshare to RAR. Unpack it and listen to the MP3s.

If you can't be bothered I'll mail it to you. :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mick said...

Oh yes please. Indulge my laziness. Mail it.

Anonymous said...

A photo of Mick Farren as Jason King can be found accompanying an article from Record Mirror in 1971 called 'The Deviant Thoughts of Mick Farren' - http://www.thanatosoft.freeserve.co.uk/damagedfiles/articles/recmirror.htm

Sorry about that Mick, but I thought everyone should know! He he he!

As for the Wyngarde solo album, it is indeed a classic, and 'The Hippie and the Skinhead' is just bizarre beyond words, and 'Rape' is equally so. The PC brigade might have a few words to say about about 'Rape's' dubious subject matter though, as well its racial stereotyping. Great stuff nevertheless.