Saturday, August 04, 2007

SATURDAY MORNING PICTURES (how does it feel?)



Napoleon in rags and the language that he used? As regular visitors to Doc40 may have gleaned, it’s been a long hard week during which I have done one hell of a lot of writing – some of great interest and some the was the literary equivalent of hanging sheet-rock – but I will let you into a small secret. In pauses while I wait for the words to come, I’ve been sniffing around YouTube seeing what goodies a poor boy could find. Last Wednesday, I posted a clip of The Who doing “My Generation” at the Marquee in 1967, and now my friends (try this for size) we present eight fucking minutes of Bob Dylan and the Hawks doing “Like A Rolling Stone” at Newcastle City Hall in 1966. This was a manner of music that at the time, like The Who, made you feel you could tear the world apart with you bare hands. (And I guess I still have the metaphoric bleeding fingernails.) And guess what? If all that wasn’t enough, I was actually there. I was at that show! I even remember what I was wearing. All decked out very Chelsea Girl style in a white denim suit, a black and white paisley shirt, and white Victorian lace-up boots with Cuban heels that were extremely Brian Jones, and later, after the show, the ensemble almost got me beaten to death by blind drunk homophobic Geordies who decided that, despite my matching girlfriend, I qualified as queer.

How did it feel? It felt like the power structure would fall like a house of cards. That’s how it felt.

The secret word is Then

AND just to show the other side of the coin, here’s a demonstration film of the Johnny 7 One Man Army from approximately the same period.

6 comments:

Captain Incredible said...

Ah yes - Johnny Seven, invalided out upon the arrival of Action Man...

If you get a min, I've tagged you for a Thinking Blogger Award - full details at

http://captainincredible.blogspot.com/2007/08/unaccustomed-as-i-am.html

Really enjoyed Exit funtopia, by the way...

Bob

Anonymous said...

Do you post any music that isn't older than my dad?

Mick said...

Not very +often. Now fuck off back to My Space, whippersnapper.

Mick said...

Do I understand correctly, O hero, of Neptune that, in order to get a Thinking Blogger Award, I have to name five other blogs. Isn't this, in effect, an award version of a pyramid scheme? Also, I have to confess that, I have been on a lifelong mission, and gone to considerable trouble and expense to avoid thinking whenever possible, so perhaps I don't really qualify.

But thanks anyway.

Captain Incredible said...

Mick,

No problem.

As far as the whole awards thing goes, I'm not sure - I'm still flying blind when it comes to this stuff.

But it seemed innocuous enough at the time.

Anyway, on we go...

Mick said...

No sweat. Although it would be nice to have an award...