Tuesday, August 07, 2007

THE BADGERS OF BASRA



"Hi, I’m a badger but I’m also a nocturnal bio-weapon.”

This strange tale of the Iraqi War sent by UK Steve, has been somewhat overlooked for a couple of weeks. I don’t know how many of you have heard it, but I wouldn’t put it past the Brits to turn ravening badgers on the natives. The British Empire was run on that kind of thing. Just ask the Irish.
Word spread among the populace that UK troops had introduced strange man-eating, bear-like beasts into the area to sow panic. But several of the creatures, caught and killed by local farmers, have been identified by experts as honey badgers. The rumours spread because the animals had appeared near the British base at Basra airport. "We have been told these are indigenous nocturnal carnivores that don't attack humans unless cornered." The director of Basra's veterinary hospital, Mushtaq Abdul-Mahdi, has inspected several of the animals' corpses. He told the AFP news agency: "These appeared before the fall of the regime in 1986. They are known locally as Al-Girta. "Talk that this animal was brought by the British forces is incorrect and unscientific."Dr Ghazi Yaqub Azzam, deputy dean of Basra's veterinary college, speculated that the badgers were being driven towards the city because of flooding in marshland north of Basra. But the assurances did little to convince some members of the public. One housewife, Suad Hassan, 30, claimed she had been attacked by one of the badgers as she slept. "My husband hurried to shoot it but it was as swift as a deer," she said. "It is the size of a dog but his head is like a monkey," she told AFP.

The secret word is Set (Puzzled? Look it up.)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fucking right!

Nuzz Prowlin' Wolf said...

Hey, Mick, was gonna say you've got a bit of a cheek lifting my Simpsons artwerk, with no credit from where it came from, (it was actually done over 5 years ago prior to the movie)then I thought how can I say that after blatently ripping off one of our performances, hope you didn't mind, my theory is that a hell of a lot, well maybe a couple of hundred are gonna hear it who may not have bothered were it not for free. If u aint happy I'll remove it. How's about a link to the blog on Doc40?

Mick said...

Hey, Mr. Wolf, (or may I call you Nuzz?) I don't have any proplem with anything and an attitude to the free internet that, if it ain't nailed down, steal it. Although I should have given a nod to where I got it from. To make ammends, I have just posted a perma-link to your fine and riotous site. That's in addition to the Human Garbage link. Onward and upward!

Anonymous said...

Is this anarchy in action?

Mick said...

Probably.

Anonymous said...

Could get back to the badgers?

Anonymous said...

It is true:

http://www,badgersinbasra.com

Anonymous said...

i meant:

http://www.badgersinbasra.com

Anonymous said...

I hate to be a pedant - actually I don't but feel obliged to claim I do - but a honey badger is a different thing to the British type badger pic posted. I can't be arsed finding out the Latin names or anything, just believe me, OK?

Mick said...

I totally believe you, and knew I was stretching a point, but I really like badgers and rarely get an excuse to post a picture of a one of any kind.

Nuzz Prowlin' Wolf said...

cheers Mick, yeah Nuzz is fine, sorry to detract from the badgers.

Anonymous said...

Guess you've got to miss some things from Blighty!