Monday, April 16, 2007

THE RETURN OF THE LONE GUNMAN



For the last hour or so I have stared at the TV, essentially watching nothing except meaningless images of cops in bullet proof vests, armed with automatic weapons, standing around looking grim as TV cameras troll like sharks in search of images, and voices babble non-information. All I learned is that some kid with a couple of pistols and a shitload of ammunition went on the rampage and killed and wounded a whole lot of people. I have been told countless times that this is a record for civilian mass slaughter in the USA, like massacre was some variety of bloody sporting event. It has been suggested that the shooter was oriental and thus a foreigner. One talking head wanted to involve rap music.(?) There would also appear to be some two-hour anomaly in the timeline, which is a dash of mystery in a situation in which I am really leaning nothing. I’m also being told that the President – a man who likes to do his mass killing from a long and comfortable distance – will be on TV in less than an hour. I don’t quite understand why. All I know was that I had to sit down and write this, away from CNN, because all my television is doing was providing me with an inert, unhealthy, and vicarious connection to sudden death on the other side of the country and, as I watched, I begin to feel wholly disgusted with myself and decidedly less than clean.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been at work, so I'm not saturated out on this horrific event yet. However, I did notice that not only was he "an asian", the radio kept telling me the cause was a "breakup with his girlfriend". Personally I think his ex-girlfriend is going to have enough to cope with over the next few weeks without hearing herself accused, tried and convicted of being responsible for the whole thing within hours of it starting. Cherchez la f*cking femme, indeed.

Peromyscus

Anonymous said...

Monday -33 Killed on US Campus and the whole fucking media circus is going wild.

Sunday - 43 Killed in bombings in Baghdad, Darfur, about 1000 people a day dying, Africa 3000 kids a day dying, hardly gets a mention, why, cos it happens every fucking day.

Don't get me wrong, every fucking death is a tragedy, what makes me angry, is that the fucking news editors seem to get a massive hard on everytime there is a school killing....

But what really gets on my tits is the arseholes wheeled out by the BBC, CNN etc. defending the fucking Gun Culture with all the same fucking platitudes 'Guns don't kill, people do' and 'The constitution gives us the right to bear arms'....

NO IT FUCKING WELL DOESN'T. Read the fucking thing, it actually says 'A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed!....

That is you can only bear arms in order to form a citizens militia, and for no other fucking reason whatsoever (which was intended to stop the British re-invading)....

Therefore, to defend the right to bear arms, every lunatic who walks into a school with an AK47 or every crack dealer with a saturday night special tucked into his underpants must be a member of the fucking citizens militia.

In the UK, which for all it's faults, has strict gun control each year, there is one gun death per 500,000 of the population. in the US, it is 31 per 500,000.

Shit, this is too fucking depressing to even think about...

Sorry for the rant

Anonymous said...

Gun Control?

Canada.

It's not the guns, it's Americans. The entire society is fucked up. If the US had remained a colony the world would probably be a much more peaceable place. Heck, even World Wars might not have happened.

BTW, did the news crews get any headshots?

Mick said...

I have some amazing readers. I mean that.