Tuesday, January 23, 2007

IT COULDA BEEN ME!



I suppose it was kinda inevitable that I spent a goodly part of the day just passed wondering why the hell I wasn’t on stage as advertised at the Roundhouse in London, and reflecting (with a measure of suitably narcissistic self-pity) the close to absurdist sequence of events that had conspired to transform this unique opportunity to close what would have been a nearly lifelong circle into an embarrassingly pear-shaped debacle, and pondering what possible ways might be found to restore collective credibility and attempt some kind of substitute rematch, because, having had a whiff of the possible fun and frolic, I would sure like to pull off some modestly spectacular performance in the old country before this year is out. (pic by yukiko akagawa)

The secret word is Determination

Meanwhile the excellent Valerie sends a report from the BBC about how the poppies are blooming in Afghanistan, but the collective prejudice of multiple governments continue to prevent anything useful being done with the potential opium crop.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, a real disappointment. No doubt I would have been waking with a hangover, and the memory of watching the previous night's show before making my back from London at lunchtime today. Instead I'm at boring old work, thinking about what could have been too.

Mick, I really hope something will be rearranged for later in the year. Maybe now there's more time to arrange for any number of Deviants and Pink Fairies alumni to add to the merriment thus providing a party truly befitting the Cosmic Family?

Andy said...

Mick,

There must be loads of us in the same boat. A chance to see our heros in action, lost. I've been waiting a long time for this and I was just gutted. Last night was one of feeling hollow at what had been lost. I really hope that another gig can be rescheduled at the Roundhouse, if bridges there haven't been well and truely napalm'd.

I have managed to track down much of your back catalogue of discs and books via the secondhand section of amazon. I only mention this as someone said they couldn't get your CDs.

BTW reading the DNA cowboys trilogy, bought new no less, was a rare treat.

Mick said...

I think I've already said that I'd really like to do something this year and don't really care whether it's under the rubric of the Pink Fairies, the Deviants, the Psychdelic Allstars or whatever. I don't have too much of a clue how to achieve this, but I'm thinking...and it's only January.

Your driver said...

If perchance this show occurs in Los Angeles, I am only 500 miles away, and might come down out of sheer curiosity.

A recent report from a friend in Indianapolis: Heroin is cheaper than gasoline. All of the gas huffers have become junkies.

Anonymous said...

give blackie a call. i'm sure you, sandy and russell would love to see him again.