Thursday, August 19, 2010

X-RATED ELVIS

You really have to get yourself over to our pals at The Hound Blog where they have a quite amazing song by Elvis Presley that I certainly haven’t heard before.

"Several weeks ago I wrote a posting on Percy Mayfield and put out a call to see if anyone out there had a line on Elvis' x-rated outtake version of Mayfield's masterpiece Stranger In My Own Hometown. Reader JohnnyQ responded with a link to said recording, and having downloaded it, in a fit of excitement sent out copies to several friends that I thought would enjoy hearing Elvis sing "motherfucker", "cocksucker" and "hard prick" in the same tune. Of the responses I got back, my favorite was from esteemed author and cultural commentator Nick Tosches, who wrote: "Jim: as somebody who always felt that Elvis killed rock'n'roll until it rose from the dead again in 1965, I must say that this raises the value of his stock considerably in my mind. In fact, aside from Heartbreak Hotel and one cut on Having Fun On Stage ("...when you look in the mirror and see you are bald", or whatever it is), this is the best Elvis I've ever heard". Click here for more and the vital audio link.

2 comments:

stu said...

`rather see you dead little baby than see you with another man` stopped me in my tracks when i first heard it

Mark Haspam said...

if let unrestrained Elvis would have had a Miami trial long before Jim Morrison did.


WV: elixirsue